Hi Ilia, Joe,

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 08:50:59 pm Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:
> The reason we do not use the system database is because it is
> inconsistent and likely is updated less frequently then the one
> included with PHP.
>
> -1.

Personally I think this patch would be great, and I will recommend it to the
other debian php maintainers for review.  It would certainly be a lot better
than our current solution, where the timezone db has been ripped out of php
and put into a seperate package which is managed outside of the stable
release cycle (in the "volatile" release area).

I understand that it may make the job of developing/releasing/supporting
easier for you to bundle the timezone db (just like libgd, et c), but please
consider the position of those who are responsible for maintaining not just
your software but thousands of other projects' packages...  wouldn't it be
possible to at least make this some kind of compile-time option for those of
us who do like the idea?

        sean finney
        (debian php package maintainer)