On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Cristian Rodriguez wrote:

> 2008/1/10, Pierre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > If distros start to use the
> > system timezone
>
> Distros use system timezonedb for %99 of the other components(some of
> them far more critical than PHP) , why PHP has to be special ?

Because if PHP application developers want to deal with timezones
correctly, they need to be able to rely on certain functionality and
data availability. PHP can not simply use the default OS system calls as
they do not expose enough information, therefore we do have to read the
database files directly. At the moment we basically concatenate all the
database files and give it an index. Parsing the database files could be
optimized more if we have control over this format (which we have at the
moment). It is quite possible that in the future we do munge the
database much more than just a concattenation of all files to increase
performance.

regards,
Derick