On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 15:31 +0100, Pierre Joye wrote:
> HI Sam,
>
> On Feb 6, 2008 2:33 PM, Sam Barrow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > This is not some election campaign were you change what you believe in
> > > just to go get followers. So no, I will not take that into
> > > consideration.
> > >
> > > Derick
> >
> > When did I change my opinion. I'm putting forth a compromise that may be
> > able to make both sides happy. If we can all agree to a scalar type hint
> > I don't see anything wrong with that.
>
> A scalar type brings none of the advantages of a full set of type
> hints. I see zero gain to scalar in comparison to what we have now.
> I'm still in favor of having all types available.

But saying that is like saying that the array type hint has no gain.

function insertIntoDb(scalar $table, scalar $value) {
}

This can prevent an array or object from accidentally being put into a
database field (which won't work). Plus, since the hint is scalar, us
strict typing people can insert (int) 1, and the dynamic typing people
can insert (string) "1" or (bool) TRUE.