On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 06:30 -0700, Chris Stockton wrote:
> To me it does not make sense to have a scalar type hint. For the
> simple reason it's inconsistent with PHP, and it adds no value other
> then the fact you then know the value is not on array (or maybe not a

Ok. Well the array type hint ensures that it is an array. This just does
the opposite then, I don't see a problem with that. I like to be able to
protected my code from having arrays/objects accidentally inserted into
databases or outputted.

> resource?). It's also inconsistent with PHP, array type hinting, is
> complemented by array type-casting like print_r((array) "foobar"), you

Who wants to do print_r((array) "foobar")?
I've never seen array type casting, it's pointless. You're proving my
point here.

> can not echo (scalar) Array('FooBar'); for obvious reasons. I
> understand type hinting is not type casting (duh) but I think they
> should correlate more then they do, it just makes sense.

This is not casting at all, it's a completely different concept with a
completely different purpose. A scalar type cast is useless you're
right, but a scalar type hint is completely different.

> I have no idea the technicals behind not being able to add stricter
> type hints, like; float int string, etc. But that would make a lot
> more sense then the proposed scalar type hint. Do it right, or don't
> add a hack is my opinion.

Why is a scalar type hint not acceptable if an array type hint is?
That's what I really want to know.