On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 14:20 +0100, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Sam Barrow wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 09:31 +0100, Derick Rethans wrote:
> > >
> > > I still we should add simple static typehints (ie. just the types that
> > > we use in the manual) - and they should behave in the same way as the
> > > other type hints that we laready have.
> >
> > True, but we have to consider the fact that we don't have enough support
> > on that side.
>
> This is not some election campaign were you change what you believe in
> just to go get followers. So no, I will not take that into
> consideration.
>
> Derick

When did I change my opinion. I'm putting forth a compromise that may be
able to make both sides happy. If we can all agree to a scalar type hint
I don't see anything wrong with that.

And I don't care if I have followers. I don't have followers. Half the
people on here just want me to shut up. I would shut up if no one agreed
with me, but the vote earlier revealed that more people actually agreed
with me than didn't. The patch was still turned down because apparently
some people's votes count as more than others, but I have support.

I find a scalar type hint useful, is it not? Not complying with PHP's
type juggling was a valid argument against my earlier patch. My new
patch puts this argument to rest.

All I want here is to be able to type hint my variables. I'm not being
unreasonable. If arrays can be type hinted, scalars should be too,
bottom line. This whole argument is a waste of time. To be honest we
have a pretty half-assed type hinting implementation now. It's not
complete. It needs to be complete. I'm here offering to complete it.

If anyone has any objections to a scalar type hint please raise a valid
point. And don't say "this is not java" or anything like that please.