Derick Rethans wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, Pierre Joye wrote:

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Derick Rethans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

 > > You can't actually use the class name "DateFormatter" when you want
 > > pecl/intl to be in core. "Date" is the prefix for the already existing Date
 > > extension.
 >
 > I think we still can name it DateFormatter, especially if we plan (and we do,
 > as I understand) to merge DateFormatter functions with ext/date in PHP 6, and
 > we don't have any conflict now and we do not have any plans to have
 > DateFormatter in ext/date (correct me if I'm wrong here).

 You're wrong. We can rename it later *if* it gets merged into ext/date,
 but you can't simply use a classname with a prefix that conflicts with
 something else. Merging it would most likely change API anyway.
I rather prefer to have this class (and related) within the ext/date
extensions. It is the only way to have a consistent and working
date/time API in php. Date/time formatting is part of this API.

I've mentioned that from the beginning (and started experimenting a bit with it already as date_format_locale()), but apparently that's not the "correct" way.

I think the question here is WHY would you want to format a date without using a date object?
SO why is it wrong to have object formatting packaged with the relevant object?
I may be missing something here, but if the idea is to standardise then surly we should be standardising and not creating tools for unnecessary alternatives? I'm still having to use my own Date alternative until we can finally draw a line under PHP4 compatibility - so lets not start opening more rabbit holes to compatibility :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL