Pierre, Marcus, et al.

1) The project started a year or so ago. A few of us from different companies
had a strong need to see that PHP had international collation, formats,
normalization, grapheme support, and other functions in a time frame nearer
than php 6. The resulting intl extension has been out for a while, first with
collation, then with some formatters.
Stas made announces to the php-i18n list at least as early as July 17 (possibly
earlier). The specs were posted to php-i18n and there has been discussion on
the list over time.

The manual documentation was announced by Stas for review to this list as well
on Dec 4.

So there has been opportunity for input on the specs and the project is above
board. No one is "deciding anything about PHP".
There have been 300 downloads since Dec. so some people know about it.
There have not been many requests for changes.

Several of us working on this project don't know PHP internals. We know ICU.
The php-icu list was more about coordination and who was doing what, as well as
Stas and others explaining PHP internals to us, more than design. There was
some design discussion, usually around PHP compatibility. Most of the
discussion, being logistics, wouldn't have interested anyone else. The specs
are posted on php-i18n for review so the project is open.

The project itself is just putting wrappers around ICU, with only a couple of
functions being coded. We just mapped PHP calls to ICU functions. We aren't
implementing from scratch.

2) I cannot fathom why you say that minds cannot be changed. Questions were
asked and answered. The discussion is ongoing. Where is the problem?

3) I offered as much background as possible above. From here out, let's focus
on the functionality and the naming conventions, etc.

4) One more note: As the specs and beta have been out for months, we thought we
were near done. Also, some of the people that worked on this have to move on to
other tasks. We also have a need for the intl extension and so would like to
see at least a first version become available.

Considering the above, please don't interpret responses that propose to put in
the next version what some might consider to be enhancements, as anything other
than we have run out of time and man/woman power, but need and can use what is
there today. It is not an argument for providing something that isn't right,
but it is reasonable to consider making available what works, and then
extending further.

I hope that helps. I'll add this is my personal perspective, I don't speak for
Stas, Zend, others on php-icu, or anyone else for this particular topic.

tex