Hi!

Hmm, I really think we should simply maintain BC 100% but using the new

BC 100% makes little sense - why usort can accept object but sort can't? And functions like next/prev are useless with many types of objects.
 Especialy think this through for the next
bigger release (presumably PHP 6.0) and come up with a set of interfaces for objects that allow them to more sensibly work with functions.

We already have set of interfaces. They aren't just used consistently. And that's a bug. We shouldn't let BC to prevent us from fixing bugs. Especially BC with things that were never documented to work at the first place and are working in half of functions and don't work in others without any logical order.

As a PHP user who'd want to migrate to 5.3 sooner than later, and uses those heavily, I'd rather not see BC breaks in a point release, even though just like you I see some WTF-s in the old behaviour.

Full rethinking of this and consistently respecting the Array/Iterator interfaces would be great and needed for 6.0, though.

Regards, Stan Vassilev