Hi!

FWIW, since PHP has a static inheritence chain, the best approach
seems to be to build a virtual dispatch table, instead of a hashtable
for functions. However, there might be some esoteric extensions which
make this difficult.

IHMO it's not static enough. I.e., since PHP is not compiled, we can not create VD table for the class until runtime inheritance, which means that the code using this class can use method resolution more efficient than name->function, i.e. hashtable. These lookups can be cached (i.e. CV style) but I don't see how they can be altogether prevented.
s...@zend.com   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: s...@zend.com