On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith<m...@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
>> I can't see the difference between your proposal and the conclusion I
>> reached yesterday?
>>
>> (which was that there is a near consensus around strict checks by
>> default, with casts allowed with some syntax).
>
> Well to me it Sounded like you wanted to Rely on Standard Type juggling and
> what i am proposing is more strict than that. More over i am Not convinced
> that strict should Be the Default.

I don't know what you mean by standard type-juggling. Your proposal
really does not outline what you want very much, just what you're
against. As for strictness, if your proposal suggests that strict
typing is the default, I cannot see where.

As I see it, each proposal is a very minor variation on the other. My
proposal had an extra layer, but it it wasn't well received, so I've
withdrawn it.

Ilia has a patch now that does what I understand you want, using the
(int) syntax, with strict by default. I may be wrong, but I believe
the only thing left to argue about is strict versus weak by default. I
was originally of the opinion that weak typing should be the default.
However, it had barely any support, whereas there was great support
for strict by default.

Thanks,
Paul

--