And, though I'm sure everyone on the list is capable of finding this URL on their own, a short explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_binary

May the source be with you,
Best regards,
Jess Portnoy

Jess Portnoy wrote:
Hello,

Have you considered cases such as universal MAC/Darwin builds? The universal build method [used only by Apple but still, many PHP developers do run MAC] means you have several archs bundled together in the same binary, and, a binary built 2 ways [i386 and PPC or i386 and x86_64 or even 4 ways for that matter] can work on any of these archs. How do you suggest to handle that?

May the source be with you,
Best regards,
Jess Portnoy

jvlad wrote:
Hi all,

Starting with version 5.3 php checks id string when it loads the extensions to match its own one and it also shows this string in PHP Extension Build line of phpinfo(). That's great. This line contains api#, threadsafe, and compiler. So it's almost all important thigs to check and make sure that a particular module is binary-compatible with php core. All things, except just one, the CPU. It's known that Windows runs on many CPUs, Solaris runs fine under sparc, sparc64, x86, and x86_64. Needless to mention linux and *bsd systems (I guess they are running on everything). Why not to add what phpinfo() shows in Architecture, to the id string? Are there any reasons not to do this?

-jvlad