"Jess Portnoy" <j...@zend.com> wrote in message
news:4b1266e0.7010...@zend.com...
> Perhaps it would be wise to display both the build arch and the current
> arch on which its running?
> I used the Darwin/MAC universal build example before but even on Windows
> and *nix as well when you think about it, one can run a 32bit binary on a
> 64bit OS, usually provided the stack below [Apache, etc] is also 32 bit.
> So, unlike the PHP_COMPILER_ID check, which makes sense as the various VCs
> are declared as not quite compatible, I think in the case of different
> archs this would be a mistake, just displaying the gathered arch info I
> can see no harm in though...
>
> May the source be with you,
> Best regards,
> Jess Portnoy
>

> Pierre Joye wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> This info is available in phpinfo on windows and I would like to add
>> it in the "php -v" output as well. I'm not sure how we can safely rely
>> on this info on other platforms but that's definitively something we
>> should try to do.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM, jvlad <d...@yandex.ru> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Starting with version 5.3 php checks id string when it loads the
>>> extensions
>>> to match its own one and it also shows this string in PHP Extension
>>> Build
>>> line of phpinfo(). That's great. This line contains api#, threadsafe,
>>> and
>>> compiler. So it's almost all important thigs to check and make sure that
>>> particular module is binary-compatible with php core. All things, except
>>> just one, the CPU. It's known that Windows runs on many CPUs, Solaris
>>> runs
>>> fine under sparc, sparc64, x86, and x86_64. Needless to mention linux
>>> and
>>> *bsd systems (I guess they are running on everything). Why not to add
>>> what
>>> phpinfo() shows in Architecture, to the id string? Are there any reasons
>>> not
>>> to do this?
>>>
>>> -jvlad
>>>

>>> --

Jess,

Current platform plays no role. If it can't run a particular php build,
there is nothing to care of.
What I do care of is ABA which depends on the compile-time arch and nothing
else.
It's my understanding that id-string is a part of the technology to make
sure that extensions
are compatible with core.

-jvlad