Apple ships their MAC OS with GCC that is capable of building universal binaries. Most MAC users expect packages to be built universal. Trust me, I also hate it but its true... If what you want is just to ensure the extensions are built for the same architecture as the PHP core, this I can understand, I'm just saying you need to take multiple archs bundled together under consideration. Also, I don't know if deciding for the dynamic loader if something can be loaded is so wise, if it can great, if not, it will yell at you anyhow..

May the source be with you,
Best regards,
Jess Portnoy