"Jess Portnoy" <j...@zend.com> wrote in message
news:4b127c03.1080...@zend.com...
> Apple ships their MAC OS with GCC that is capable of building universal
> binaries.
> Most MAC users expect packages to be built universal. Trust me, I also
> hate it but its true...
> If what you want is just to ensure the extensions are built for the same
> architecture as the PHP core, this I can understand, I'm just saying you
> need to take multiple archs bundled together under consideration. Also, I
> don't know if deciding for the dynamic loader if something can be loaded
> is so wise, if it can great, if not, it will yell at you anyhow..
>
> May the source be with you,
> Best regards,
> Jess Portnoy

Jess,
Honestly, I see no problem with universal binaries. After all
they are not that "universal" at all.
Perhaps you missed another reply where I asked - if you have
4 binaries in one file, why don't you have 4 id strings for them?

and yes, many companies that provide their php extensions in pre-compiled
form like Zend, ionCube, and
many others are interested in a clear way on how to detect whether installed
php is supported and
what module among hunderd others to pick and install. So, you usee it's not
a way to dictate
the loader what to load. It's  a way for installer to be wise enough.

-jvlad