On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Christopher Jones <
christopher.jo...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:
> > +1. I think we need we need to make "HEAD" a common use branch where
> > most of the developers trees are at and current HEAD iteration is just
> > not it.
>
> I'm +1.  Jani's recent 5.3 changes should be reverted, PHP_5_4
> rebranched again, and then the fixes/features merged to the new
> branch.
>
> I'd also like to see us start a slow deprioritization of 5.2 work.
> Instead effort should go into making 5.3 the prefered stable branch.
> One specific example is that Test Fest 2010 tests shouldn't be merged
> to 5.2.
>

> > On 10-03-11 12:22 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> >> Ah, Jani went a little crazy today in his typical style to force a
> >> decision.  The real decision is not whether to have a version 5.4 or
> >> not, it is all about solving the Unicode problem.  The current effort
> >> has obviously stalled.  We need to figure out how to get development
> >> back on track in a way that people can get on board.  We knew the
> >> Unicode effort was hugely ambitious the way we approached it.  There are
> >> other ways.
> >>
> >> So I think Lukas and others are right, let's move the PHP 6 trunk to a
> >> branch since we are still going to need a bunch of code from it and move
> >> development to trunk and start exploring lighter and more approachable
> >> ways to attack Unicode.  We have a few already.  Enhanced mbstring and
> >> ext/intl.  Let's see some good ideas around that and work on those in
> >> trunk.  Other features necessarily need to play along with these in the
> >> same branch.  I refuse to go down the path of a 5.4 branch and a
> >> separate Unicode branch again.
> >>
> >> The main focus here needs to be to get everyone working in the same
> branch.
> >>
> >> -Rasmus
> >>

> --
> Email: christopher.jo...@oracle.com    Tel:  +1 650 506 8630
> Blog:  http://blogs.oracle.com/opal/   Free PHP Book:
> http://tinyurl.com/UGPOM
>

> --

Focusing TestFest on 5.3 was not how I had envisioned TestFest 2010, I was
operating under the assumption we would be committing all applicable tests
to 5.2, 5.3 and 6.0 as was done last year. Focusing strictly on 5.3
certainly makes my job (and others working on TestFest 2010) easier but I
wasn't aware that anyone was even entertaining this.

This is obviously not strictly on point with this discussion and I don't
think a divergence from the main topic is appropriate at this moment. But it
underscores the importance that we will be much better off hashing this out
sooner rather than later as things in the near future will certainly bear
significant effects.

As this thread winds down and consensus is reached, I'll bring this
particular topic up again on the QA List with a discussion based on results
of late events.

Eric Lee Stewart