Eric Stewart wrote:

> Focusing TestFest on 5.3 was not how I had envisioned TestFest 2010, I was
> operating under the assumption we would be committing all applicable tests
> to 5.2, 5.3 and 6.0 as was done last year. Focusing strictly on 5.3
> certainly makes my job (and others working on TestFest 2010) easier but I
> wasn't aware that anyone was even entertaining this.
>
> This is obviously not strictly on point with this discussion and I don't
> think a divergence from the main topic is appropriate at this moment. But it
> underscores the importance that we will be much better off hashing this out
> sooner rather than later as things in the near future will certainly bear
> significant effects.
>
> As this thread winds down and consensus is reached, I'll bring this
> particular topic up again on the QA List with a discussion based on results
> of late events.
>
> Eric Lee Stewart

I think they should be merged to 5.3 and trunk (which is the "branch"
I really meant in my previous email, not 5.4).

Looking at e.g. the DBA tests, I am building with 3 different versions
of the Berkeley DB client library.  With OCI8 tests I build with three
different client libraries and then test against three different DB
versions.  Repeating this kind of effort for 5.2 at this mature stage
of its life isn't worthwhile use of resources IMHO (when no code has
changed).  In a perfect world we'd do it, but where we are now I think
we need to focus the efforts of testers on 5.3+.

Chris

--
Email: christopher.jo...@oracle.com    Tel:  +1 650 506 8630
Blog:  http://blogs.oracle.com/opal/   Free PHP Book: http://tinyurl.com/UGPOM