Including into core of PHP has no impact on other opcode caches, if
they do a better job then APC, people can definitely (and should) use
them. The main purpose of including APC would be to raise the level of
awareness PHP users to the fact opcode caches exist and should be used
in virtually all instances where PHP is used.

Most people do not use opcode, I know it from asking that question at
just about every conference. As if you do a google query searching for
phpinfo() and try to find those with any cache, you'll see that there
are FAR fewer of those then those without any caching being enabled.

Just because APC package exists on most linux and BSD distros does not
mean people know what it is, you have lots of extensions that are
available as packages...

How is adding an extension forcing anyone to use, dba extension has
been in core in ages, and only people who choose to use it do... "in
core" does not mean that you must use it.