Hi!

Even if the extension is compiled by default, we can (and probably
should) leave apc.enabled at Off, recognizing some the things you are
mentioning.

I'm not sure I see the point of compiling it if it's disabled. Anyway, most of the distributions probably would make it .so just as it happens now for tons of other modules and would enable it in .ini. And building it from source you almost never rely on defaults anyway if you know what you want (which is the reason why you didn't use the binary one, I guess). So, summarily, I don't think we should enable it by default, as for compiling it by default, I don't think it matters too much since I don't believe defaults matter too much there.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/