Hi!

Can you elaborate? What "average user"-facing features are non-obvious?
We should document them if nothing else.

This recently caught my attention: http://pecl.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=16745
As I understood from this bug, APC changes how PHP works (since it works without APC but not with it) and it is not considered a problem in APC. Which means enabling APC by default is a BC break, and there's already a proof that it breaks real-life code (even if particular code had been changed to work with it, the fact that APC can break otherwise working code stays). Now probably most of the experienced users wouldn't mind fixing the code a bit, but for enabling by default it should be 100% BC.

apc.file_update_protection could have some unexpected results too.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/