On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:05:43 -0000, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Davey Shafik wrote:

The goal then was to essentially take the 5.3 branch, create a 5.4
branch, cherry pick commits to trunk and apply them to the 5.4 branch
and end up with a stable build. Unfortunately, subversion merging
sucks.

This has nothing to do with any sort of version control sucking. Cherry
picking is hard! It only works if you get one feature in one commit,
instead of many several, with other changes in between, without many
dependices between patches. PHP isn't like that, especially with
Dmitry's engine changing patches.

Yes, cherry picking is not as easy as people assume they are, because many changes depend on each other and trunk has a fair quantity of these.

I think trunk should be the starting point for 5.4; as to type hinting, I'm neutral as to the status quo.

However, this is all orthogonal to this thread, what's important is that we agree on the formalities proposed so that we can proceed to these material issues.

--
Gustavo Lopes