That can always be done later. Even if I don't think users care much
about 6 or 7 being the version for the next major release. However for
what I can read or hear, they care about traits and many of the points
described in the RFC.

Maybe we could focus on getting the RFC sorted out and figure out what
can or should remain in a 5.4 release. We are almost ready to go with
it, a matter of weeks.  I fear  that a major release is something we
are not able to deal with right now.

Then we can begin with the next major (call it php 11 if we like to,
does not really matter ;) version. There are still plenty of work for
it (we all have in mind at least one thing).

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Ilia Alshanetsky <i...@prohost.org> wrote:
> I don't think the version # makes that much of a difference, but
> rather what is in it. That said, people have made a good point that
> jumping to something like 7, would allow us to skip the baggage
> associated with PHP6, which seems like a fairly compelling argument to
> me.
>
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
>>> I think that skipping to a major version is a good idea.
>>
>> It is appealing but not a good idea. I think it is better to get 5.4
>> with the features we like in it and then consider a major version.
>> There are quite a few things that we could add or changethat would
>> justify a major version (without opening one of our pandora's boxes
>> right now :).
>>
>> As of versioning scheme, yes, a clear and documented one is the way.
>> Anything we can add to the RFC to clarify this would be welcome. Maybe
>> start a new thread, it is getting hard to follow each topic.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Pierre
>>
>> @pierrejoye | http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org