On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 10:25 -0800, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> We also need that non-null zend_parse_parameters type implemented to
> clean up the null-byte poisoning fixes in 5.3.

Recently there was an off-list discussion about adding support for
accepting non-empty strings only via zend_parse_parameters (zpp). There
I raised the concern that we shouldn't add too many special validations
for two main reasons:

a) The more options zpp has the harder it is to use/read/maintain
b) Errors from zpp usually are typically caused by program errors which
in other languages for instance might be detected by a compiler not for
being bad values as such errors might require different handling by the
user.

The null-byte thing is not only good for file operations but also for
ereg and other places. But we should be sure about the error semantics
caused.

johannes