On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 11:58 -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> On 2010-11-26, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
> > > 3. The motivation to skip 6 doesn't stem from marketing at all.  The
> > > main motivation is that there's a VERY concrete perception amongst
> > > many users about what PHP 6 is.
> >
> > Leaving the very small conference crowd for a second: nobody never
> > ever heard of php6 before the total fiasco a couple of months ago.
>
> Not true. There have been "PHP 6" books *published* and on the market
> for literally years.

While none of them mention Unicode in any meaningful way ;-)

But well, the first thing is: "Do we want to go to a new major version
number or not?" Only if we do the question for 6, 7, 42, ... is
relevant. I interpret the discussion as more people favor 5.4. So the
other discussion can be held when it is decided to change the major
version.

johannes (who will propose a key syntax change in a moment)