hi Stas!

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com> wrote:

>>  . not enabling it by default defeats the purpose of bundling it
>
> Actually, I don't think it does. It's one thing to tell people "put this
> option into php.ini" and quite another is "download it from PECL (?),
> compile it (?!) and install it". The first is within the limits of any
> literate person, the second is sysadmin territory.

All major distros have it already, so it is the same. Now, if it is
not enabled by default, then many admins won't install it, back to the
same problem. It is very unlikely that someone with root or admin
perms won't be able to install an extra extension from the distro
repository or using the DLL on windows.

>>  . easier to support it while being only in pecl ('do you use the core
>> version or latest pecl?")
>
> It is a concern, if this extension is not stable yet. Is it?

It is stable. But the concern is not about its stability but the ease
of support. Having it in core means than some users may use (for
example) 5.4.2 version while we are at 5.4.6 or pecl has 3 new
versions. Not a big deal, just easier.

That being said, I'm not opposed to include it, I only don't see it as
a must go :)

Cheers,
--
Pierre