On 01/04/2012 11:54 AM, Nikita Popov wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@php.net> wrote:
>> Since it is one of these remotely-triggered errors that you can't
>> program around, it should probably be suppressed when display_errors is
>> on. There is another precedence for this, but I am drawing a blank on
>> where else we did this right now.
>>
>> -Rasmus
> You mean like with htmlspecialchars() before PHP 5.4? Please don't.
> It's really non-obvious to start hiding errors as soon as you enable
> error display.

But there is a very valid security concern here. People can usually run
safely with display_errors enabled if their code is well-written. They
can check for potential errors and avoid them. This one can't be checked
for and you could easily write a scanner that scoured the Net for sites
with display_errors enabled by sending a relatively short POST request
to each one and checking for this error. And there is absolutely nothing
people could do about this short of turning off display_errors which we
know from experience a lot of people just don't do no matter how much we
suggest it.

The alternative is to just not have any error message at all. That
avoids the discrepancy between the error messages with display_errors on
and off.

-Rasmus