@Richard I think, briefly, something like that was implemented.  However,
it was reverted soon after because it changed the default behavior of
configure.  This was discovered to be a problem after people realized that,
if -a is not specified, APXS will not only skip writing the LoadModule
line, but for some inexplicable reason it will also strip the existing
LoadModule line if it's already there.

I'm guessing that's probably what you're remembering.  This RFC differs in
that the default behavior of configure will remain unchanged.

@Lester Generally, this is a problem that surfaces in manual PHP builds.
You're correct in that the packaged repos tend to handle all that stuff for
you anyway.  However, these repos are rarely updated (I think CentOS and
Ubuntu are both still stuck on 5.1), so it's often necessary to build PHP
manually if you want to take advantage of the latest features.  In these
cases, being able to isolate the PHP configuration tends to make the most
sense, hence why this new option switch is necessary IMHO.

--Kris