I've got a CentOS 5.7 VM running at work and the PHP package returned by
yum is 5.1.6.  Don't have my Ubuntu box with me at the moment but I'm
pretty sure it's 5.1.x as well.

You probably have rpmforge or CentALT enabled and that's where it's pulling
the newer build.  But even then, the latest one you'll get is 5.2.17.  I'm
not aware of any widely available repos that have 5.3.x.

--Kris