Kris Craig wrote:
@Lester Generally, this is a problem that surfaces in manual PHP builds.
You're correct in that the packaged repos tend to handle all that stuff for
you anyway.  However, these repos are rarely updated (I think CentOS and
Ubuntu are both still stuck on 5.1), so it's often necessary to build PHP
manually if you want to take advantage of the latest features.  In these
cases, being able to isolate the PHP configuration tends to make the most
sense, hence why this new option switch is necessary IMHO.

I've obviously been doing something wrong then :)
SUSE has been keeping my versions up to date quite happily even to the extent that I now have to make sure I DON'T get an update applied until I've had a chance to check the live sites! But I still have to manually build the more useful extensions that are not included, and it's at this time that the build 'defaults' tends to screw with the SUSE configuration :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL