Hi Miah -

Any chance you could write up the steps you took to test this - or point
me in the right direction so I can try myself?

Re 8 way, is that 8 physical or 8 threads? If I can get the tests
running I can give you a data point for a 4 core/8 thread i7 under
linux.
that would be brilliant! I have a the steps written down in various places - a bit scattered around :-/ I'll assemble a list of instructions and put it on the PHP wiki later tonight, then I'll send out a link.

Thanks so much for the offer!

Zoe