> 1.0.0 and 1.0 are different things.

I think the problem is, version numbers are different things to different
people - I guess the documentation maybe isn't clear enough on precisely
what version numbering scheme it's using. To most people, "1" and "1.0" are
the same thing, because they look like decimal-numbers to Americans. The
documentation doesn't state how leading zeroes or missing numbers are
treated in comparisons.

I just submitted a comment with a small script that runs version_compare()
on a list of version numbers -

       1 lt 1.0
     1.0 eq 1.00
    1.00 lt 1.01
    1.01 eq 1.1
     1.1 lt 1.10
    1.10 gt 1.10b
   1.10b lt 1.10.0

I was a bit surprised at some of these, but they make sense now that I can
see how the version-number interpretation works...