using this particular version-numbering scheme, 1.01 is equal to 1.1 - I
don't think that's a bug, because the version-numbers in this
version-numbering scheme are integers, not decimals.

so I believe this is in fact as correct as it can be, since numbers like
"01" should not really be used in this version-numbering scheme, as it's
not an integer.

changing it is probably not a good idea, since comparisons like "1.10" and
"1.100" could potentially become really tricky - in the current
version-numbering scheme, 100 is greater than 10, but if these were
interpreted as decimals, they would be equal.

looks like I opened up pandora's box with this one ;-)

bottom line, I think, is that version_compare() should work for the
version-numbering scheme used by PHP, so that it works for checking the PHP
version-number. if you happen to use the same version-numbering scheme for
your PHP projects, good for you - if you don't, too bad... there are just
too many version-numbering schemes to support them all...