On 02/19/2013 03:08 PM, Terry Ellison wrote:
I guess that I should bite the bullet and switch to 5.5.

Yes.

I've been working on an evaluatorfork of APC optimized for CLI/GCI
which tackles a lot of these issues head on and performs reasonable
well, but I realise that this is a dead-end and will never get
deployed, but I am currently considering regressing some of this
technology into 5.5 and O+.  Are you interested in a version of O+
which supports all SAPIs?

Yes, but there are some SAPIs that are more common, so these should be
prioritized if trade-offs are required.

My particular desire is for "embed" SAPI support.  We use this in our
Tuxedo application server, but it is a relatively niche use case.

In architectural terms I feel that having a universal cache option
is important.  It changes the mindset from something which is only
used in niche performance use cases to a standard option.  It also
means that the cache can be stress tested by the entire php test
suite.  However, to do some of this you don't start with a patch,
but with an RFC informed by evidence, and that's my real reason for
doing this demonstrator.

I'm looking forward to seeing your suggestions and patches.

Chris

--
christopher.jo...@oracle.com  http://twitter.com/ghrd
Newly updated, free PHP & Oracle book: