Andrea Faulds wrote:
As I've already said, I don't think this would entirely replace the mailing
list. But I'd like to see such a system in place as an alternative to the
mailing list for discussions. Perhaps the software could be implemented such
that all posts and replies on it would also be sent to the mailing list in the
appropriate format, so that people reading the mailing list could still see what
was going on.

That used to be what Yahoo egroups provided until someone decided that it was 'old fashioned' and re-write the web user interface. :( They seem to have forgotten that 'plain text' is still a valid format, and now html messages get displayed in longhand on emails. The email interface on some forum packages is next to useless, but when it is provided properly then the question is asked "What has changed?". I have all the traffic on this list since 2004 all reasonably threaded and with a few 'nasty' messages deleted. Putting that onto a website does not give you anything really, except you have to keep monitoring a few dozen websites rather than JUST looking in your single email list.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL