Andrea,

While I'm not sure whether this isn't a bit premature to have this
discussion, if we were to have this discussion, the RFC should do a much
better job at summarizing the discussions we already had in the past.

First, it shouldn't be a yes/no for PHP 6, but rather, a 'PHP 6, PHP 7, or
Defer Decision' or at least 'PHP 6 / PHP 7'.

Secondly, contrary to what the RFC implies, the reasons against using
version 6 went far beyond books - and covered much more important things
(honestly I never quite understood the preoccupation with this books
angle, I don't think anybody at all cares about it).  If we decide to do
the discussion now, the RFC should cover them (they were discussed in a
thread named "About PHP6 ..."

Third, numerous people (myself included) actively proposed we skip version
6 and go with version 7;  Dismissing that with "I don't think the
alternative naming options are really much better" doesn't seem to belong
in an RFC.  The merits of this option - which were really more about the
drawbacks of calling it '6' and the lack of drawbacks of calling it '7'
should be properly described in the RFC.

Of course, you don't have to buy into that reasoning, but let's not tuck
the discussion away under the carpet.  If we were to have this discussion
now, let's make the best cases we can for both options on the table,
instead of focusing on just one and dismissing the opposition as something
about books.

Another couple of cents - both because of what I said here but also
unrelated, I think /rfc/php6 is a bad name for this RFC (both because
there's more than one option, but also because this is too generic for
something as wide as the next version of PHP).  Perhaps /rfc/php2015 is a
better choice, or at least /rfc/php.next.name

Thanks! :)

Zeev

Should