On 5 Jul 2014, at 22:57, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

> While I'm not sure whether this isn't a bit premature to have this
> discussion, if we were to have this discussion, the RFC should do a much
> better job at summarizing the discussions we already had in the past.

That’s true. I’ve updated it with more arguments from past discussions.

> First, it shouldn't be a yes/no for PHP 6, but rather, a 'PHP 6, PHP 7, or
> Defer Decision' or at least 'PHP 6 / PHP 7’.

I don’t want to have a vote with over two choices, I don’t think it would be
fair (one option could pass without >50% voting for it), and a binary 6/7
choice is forcing people’s hand. I want it to be simple and straightforward, so
that is why it is Yes or No to PHP 6. If people vote no, there could always be
a different vote later, but that is not what I want to do.

I am not going to change the vote options.

> Secondly, contrary to what the RFC implies, the reasons against using
> version 6 went far beyond books - and covered much more important things
> (honestly I never quite understood the preoccupation with this books
> angle, I don't think anybody at all cares about it).  If we decide to do
> the discussion now, the RFC should cover them (they were discussed in a
> thread named "About PHP6 ..."
>
> Third, numerous people (myself included) actively proposed we skip version
> 6 and go with version 7;  Dismissing that with "I don't think the
> alternative naming options are really much better" doesn't seem to belong
> in an RFC.  The merits of this option - which were really more about the
> drawbacks of calling it '6' and the lack of drawbacks of calling it '7'
> should be properly described in the RFC.

I’ve covered the PHP 7 issue more now.

> Of course, you don't have to buy into that reasoning, but let's not tuck
> the discussion away under the carpet.  If we were to have this discussion
> now, let's make the best cases we can for both options on the table,
> instead of focusing on just one and dismissing the opposition as something
> about books.

Sure.

> Another couple of cents - both because of what I said here but also
> unrelated, I think /rfc/php6 is a bad name for this RFC (both because
> there's more than one option, but also because this is too generic for
> something as wide as the next version of PHP).  Perhaps /rfc/php2015 is a
> better choice, or at least /rfc/php.next.name

Right, the URL isn’t entirely ideal, but it’s not really important. I don’t
think it’s possible to change it, and this is at least memorable. Really, RFC
URLs are pretty meaningless. We’ve had URLs before with spelling errors in them.

Thanks.
--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/