On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 4:22 AM, Xinchen Hui <larue...@php.net> wrote:

> Hey:
>
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi internals!
> >>
> >> We currently have a number of deprecated features, which we likely want
> >> remove in PHP 7. I've created a tracking RFC listing deprecated
> >> functionality (if I missed something, please tell):
> >>
> >>     https://wiki.php.net/rfc/remove_deprecated_functionality_in_php7
> >>
> >> I expect many of these are no-brainers (like assigning new
> by-reference),
> >> but other items like removal of ext/mysql may need additional
> consideration.
> >>
> >> Unless there are items that are particularly contested, I'd like to
> handle
> >> the bulk of these in a single vote and only have separate votes for
> >> ext/ereg and ext/mysql, as these are arguably more intrusive.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Nikita
> >>

> > I'd like to start voting on this sometime soon. I've updated the RFC to
> > include more info on some individual deprecated functionality and also
> > created blocks for individual votes. I've created seven instead of the
> > original three. If you want me to split off some point into an extra
> vote,
> > please say so.
>
> I am strongly against to remove ext/mysql
>
> that means, all wordpress users/maintainers,  will not able to upgrade
> to PHP7 without pain.

Please take a look at the WordPress version statistics:
https://wordpress.org/about/stats/

According to these statistics 72% of the WordPress installations are
running on either PHP 5.2 or PHP 5.3. This means that they do not benefit
from the quite substantial performance and memory usage improvements that
went into PHP 5.4. So, if people aren't willing to upgrade from PHP 5.2/5.3
to PHP 5.4, I don't see how they'd be more interested in PHP 7.

And, as already mentioned, WP already supports mysqli since version 3.9, so
people who want to use PHP 7 can do so with a reasonably current version of
WP.

But anyway, I get that not everyone agrees with removing ext/mysql - that's
why we're having votes on this kind of stuff ;)

Nikita