> #1 and #2 may be considered to be genuine improvements by the user
> community, but #3 most certainly will not. It does not matter how you
> try to dress it up, forcing your end users to jump through hoops before
> they can upgrade is a customer relations disaster.

PHP and other scripting languages have done it before. They will do it
again.

From time to time, major release really means some rare cases won't work
as before and require manual intervention to make work again.

It's not php-exclusive.

Hell, even in the linux kernel, drivers and infrastructure from bottom
to top we see it every day. Design changes, things break, fix or perish.

1995 HTML will probably not look exactly as intended when browsed with
today's browsers.

Chances are, even your 20 year old C or C++ code won't compile on the
latest gcc without some trivial changes or some additional compile
options and even if it does, it will violate some widely accepted
policy. In distribution packaging, we face the latter more often than
you think. This is especially true with feature-complete software dinosaurs.

Software needs maint. to keep it alive in an ever changing environment
of hardware, OS, platform libraries etc. If PHP decides to drop PHP4
constructors in PHP7, which is 2 and a half major releases later, then
you can run your older PHP, you can add support via an extension or fork
or you can do trivial changes to your libraries.
Each has its own costs. Doing nothing also has costs.

I have to maintain some customer apps on a PHP4-based framework
(version). It hasn't been fun to keep it working on PHP5.3++ and it
won't be fun on PHP7 either. It's just the way it is. I think the
customer will be charged a lot of support hours but he will get a much
better product.

In theory, I could just run older PHP releases but in practice, I wont.

I am in favor of the change but I am currently not technically able to vote.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer