Except stdout is buffered too (www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/unix-buffering).
Perhaps there's some difference there, but it's not nearly as obvious as you
claim (let alone the other stuff in the other email, but let's leave that
aside).
Personally, my money would be on glibc stdout's buffering being more
efficient than our output buffering layer.  But you're welcome to test.

Zeev