> So I do apologize to the person. I don't to the code.

I wanted to verify whether my gut was correct (minimal amount of output, and
stdout is in fact buffered - output shouldn't move the needle) and asked
Dmitry to rerun the C test on the same system, but this time with the output
code completely commented out:
real 0m0.011s  (+- 0.01)
user 0m0.011s  (+- 0.01)
sys 0m0.001s

Apologies to the code might be in order :)

The source of the JIT engine's edge is, as Dmitry and Andi said, the
CPU-specific optimizations that gcc -O2 doesn't generate, and therefore it
can actually be faster than a generic native executable in some (I would
guess not all that common) cases.

Zeev