Hi!

> The problem is always a definition question, a very subjective question.

Fortunately, we can discuss it, we're not limited to blindly following
predefined set of rules.

> I do not really buy the "I am stuck with x.y" as one has the same
> problem already. And he has barely a 2 years window to add them.

No, right now you can add small enhancements to 5.5/5.6 and get it in
production in terms of months, not several years.

> About 7, yes, that's our only next release. We rejected any 5.7, so we
> have to live with it.

This has nothing to do with 5.7, 5.7 was proposed as BC break fodder,
not as release vehicle for adding enhancements. In any case, even if we
had 5.7, one it's released you can't add anything to it anymore, so
you're back to square one. In any case, you have to wait years for any
small enhancement to become available, unless you happen to be extremely
lucky to propose it just before the release of the next major.

> Now, about the BC breaks, I do not see that much BC breaks for modern
> apps and even WP or D7 work quite well. Let focus on that instead of

You know PHP world is much bigger than WP or D7, right? I've seen people
still running 5.2 in production and reluctant to go forward. Look at the
adoption figures. 5.6 is barely 1% and you propose add features into
7.1. Who'll use them - 0.0001%? People care about WP if they run WP -
but most of them run their own apps. Or an assembly of apps, all different.

> starting to using 5.6 as a solution of our frustration not being able
> to move to 7, that would be terrible to have new features every patch
> release. Let do not do that.

It would be excellent to add new features each release. Let's do that.

You see, I can argue like you - blanket statement without any
substantiation. Can you also substantiate your position? I just did and
you rejected it with a blanket statement "no, it's terrible". No, it's
not, and the facts - including very low adoption of current versions -
support it. Until we get better adoption, I don't see how it makes any
sense to effectively ban any enhancements for 99.99% of PHP users.
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com