On 01/04/15 07:28, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
> You may think if we ban
> enhancement then people would jump to 7.x in droves - but I have yet to
> see anybody taking decisions this way. So far statistics says people
> still are in 5.3 and 5.4 massively - though we do not add features there
> for quite some time. So it doesn't look like not adding features makes
> people to move on.

Practical example.

I still have several sites on 5.2 hosting. They need upgrading before
they will run on 5.4 ... and while they would work on 5.3 with warnings
switched off there is no point making that switch. They HAVE to be
modified for 5.4, and that takes time :(

Retesting all of the 5.4 stuff on a later version will wait until
everything is on 5.4!

None of these 'small self-contained additions' have any use in
maintaining the existing sites, and so there is little point even
bothering with 5.5 or 5.6 if 7.0 is going to be out before the last of
the 5.2 sites have been upgraded. Hence my development server having
both 5.4 and 7.0 running in parallel. Yes 5.6-latest is a third option
on that but only until 7.0 IS released.

Th switch to 7.0 will not be because of the 'new additions'. Even type
hinting will only be a hindrance to be lived with rather than a 'must
have' feature simply because it does nothing to help the real problems
of data validation! That code is already present and working. The ONLY
reason for moving forward is to keep what is currently working perfectly
on 5.2 still working on a later version. Renaming everything to some new
standard gives nothing but restoring the performance improvements that
eaccelerator currently provides is another holding up a move from 5.4 ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL