On 2 August 2015 13:38:47 BST, Dor Tchizik <d...@tchizik.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM Dor Tchizik <d...@tchizik.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 3:32 PM Markus Malkusch <mar...@malkusch.de>
>wrote:
>>> What wrong with <news://news.php.net/>;?
>>>

>> No threads, no searchability, no ability to respond.

I don't know what client you used, but Usenet is very much threaded, and fully
interactive. In fact, it's very similar to an IMAP mail box. Maybe you just saw
the web archive? (There are lots of archives around of this list - I definitely
agree that there should be a better and more obvious default one.)

> Also, what's being discussed on internals are issues. Definitely.

How long have you read the list to form that conclusion? Is this thread an
issue? What about release announcements, requests for information or
collaboration, policy decisions, etc, etc.

Who would have the power to "close" the "issue" corresponding to the current
thread about variable tainting proposals, and what would that mean exactly?

>  even a privately hosted (but publicly visible)
issue tracker for PHP, with a modern interface is still infinitely better
than the mailing list.

I don't think you've made a particularly good case for that. PHP is hardly
unique in using a mailing list to co-ordinate core  development, and issue
trackers have been around for a long time, serving a rather distinct purpose.

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]