On 1/12/16 5:27 PM, Zeev Suraski wrote:
4.  As soon as authors notice substantial opposition, they'll quickly realize
they're dealing with an RFC that's very unlikely to pass, and probably eiter
abandon it or go back to the drawing board - and eliminate any contention
that may have otherwise surrounded it.
One other thing I forgot to mention is that if I run the same statistics for
the RFCs that were rejected, I *believe* that the most contentious ones would
be the ones that garnered around 40-60% of support.  These, by definition, are
controversial RFCs.  Those too are likely not to get too far off the ground and
cause storms, and we'd be saving the headache associated with them as well, not
just the ones which barely cleared 67%, for the same reason stated in item #4
above.  I haven't checked this theory though.

Zeev

If I'm understanding you correctly, your suggestion is essentially to make it easier for a vocal minority to in effect filibuster an RFC so that said vocal minority doesn't have to get as up-in-arms to convince others to join them?

While an interesting concept, I fear it would just move the up-in-arms to the other side. Vis, if a strong proponent of an RFC saw (gasp) 5 people opposed, knowing that could kill the RFC in a vote, they're as likely to "advocate harder" as back off, just as you suggest its opponents "advocate harder" now. We're net-zero in terms of the people who feel a need to "advocate harder", but with fewer RFCs passing.

I'm still of the mind that the lack of formal structure is part of the issue, because when things bubble over there's no one responsible for holding people accountable for their bubbling, and there's no one we can look to as responsible for doing so. As John mentioned there's the Bystander Problem.

"The culture of any organization is shaped by the worst behavior the leader is willing to tolerate." - Since we don't have a formal leader (deliberately), that means it's shaped by the worst behavior someone is able to get away with. The ever-shifting list of informal, de facto leaders needs to step up more often and not tolerate, and we need to recognize who that is.

--
--Larry Garfield