On Tue, 12 Jan 2016, Zeev Suraski wrote:

> I think that no matter what we do, CoC, guidelines or teams we have in
> place - as long as there'll be divisive RFCs, there are going to be
> heated, toxic discussions.

I think the main issue is the whole concept of "divisive RFCs" as a
term. An RFC is a request for *comments*. Instead of people saying
(paraphrased) "that is crap, unwanted, needless", the whole point of an
RFC is to improve the proposals - before a vote is arranged.

The recent discussion on Antony's CoC RFC, has very little
people/comments trying to improve it, but instead trying to torpedo it
because of "why do we even need it? we're not 'toxic'" (again,
paraphrased).

> Had we had a 90% bar, it does mean that STH wouldn't have made it into
> the language, but it also means that we would probably not have the
> discussion saga on internals either, and all of the bad vibes that
> surrounded it.

That however, makes it very easy for a vocal majority to torpedo
everything. I think this is only just going to cause more resentment to
the few people that tend to vote against nearly every RFC.

But - it's an interesting theory.

cheers,
Derick

--