Hi,
Pádraic Brady <mailto:padraic.br...@gmail.com>
January 21, 2016 at 10:59 AM
Hi,

On 21 January 2016 at 14:33, Allan MacGregor
<amacgre...@allanmacgregor.com>  wrote:
Padraic,

Taking a step back, instead taking a knee-jerk reaction; I think Kevin
brought up a valid point. Is very clear that there are certain actors that
are pushing for a specific version of this code of conduct to use it as a
political tool.

The RFC has actual text, which can be read, examined and discussed.
There is no need whatsoever to drag in anything beyond unless directly
relevant to the text at hand. Personal attacks on people who support a
COC, or do not support a COC, aren't productive. If there is a
political plot to undermine whatever in PHP, then please do support
this by quoting from the RFC.
Let's discuss the CoC at hand. Is my opinion that the current text based on the Contributors Covenant 1.3 is too broad on its scope and the punitive actions. What do I mean too broad? well I think the CoC needs to define what a project channel/space is; as well there should be a clarification that contributors are entitled to their political views and opinions outside of these channels.

With that in mind I'm attaching the following draft that extends the definition of the second paragraph and attempts to define that the official project channels are https://gist.github.com/amacgregor/16c62908ff39f51604e2 in short:

We are committed to evaluating contributions within project channels (such as reporting issues, posting feature requests, updating documentation, submitting pull requests or patches, and other project activities) without regard to the contributor's level of experience, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion, nationality, politics, or activity outside of project channels.

The following are considered the official project channels:

 * PHP Mailing list
 * PHP Official IRC Channel
 * PHP Official repositories
 * PHP Official social media accounts

Based on paul's earlier post http://news.php.net/php.internals/90259
This is it what concerns most people regarding this specific CoC; you want
to debate the CoC proposed, fine. Personally here are my issues with it:

- Language is vague and open to interpretation

Propose specific text which also addresses harassment and the other
not vague words. I’m sure people will happily read and review it.

  >  - There is no mechanism or ability for one to confront ones accuser

Any evidence being used against an individual will be made available
to them. In fact, it’s explicitly required. However, it’s also clear
that confidentiality will be adhered to. This is par for the course,
at least in my experience, of any such process. The COC is also not a
criminal proceeding – there is no legal court involved – so the
emphasis is on protecting the potential complainant from additional
targeted action.
That might be the case, but we are talking about applying sanctions with real world repercussions and as such having a confrontation clause or at least the right to cross examination and face my accuser.

– so the emphasis is on protecting the potential complainant from additional targeted action.

If the emphasis is on fairness, equality and justice, then you have to protect the rights of the accused and the accuser.

- The CoC seems to be more concern with punitive action rather than
establishing the values of the community.

Derick added a second section of more relevance to collaborative
values. Also, I’m on record as believing that while punitive action
need not be the central theme in a COC, it has to clear somewhere that
it CAN be employed when absolutely necessary. Hopefully never! But I
left my crystal ball at home…so I can’t rule it out.

Paddy

--
Pádraic Brady
Allan MacGregor <mailto:amacgre...@allanmacgregor.com>
Padraic,

Taking a step back, instead taking a knee-jerk reaction; I think Kevin brought up a valid point. Is very clear that there are certain actors that are pushing for a specific version of this code of conduct to use it as a political tool.

This is it what concerns most people regarding this specific CoC; you want to debate the CoC proposed, fine. Personally here are my issues with it:

- Language is vague and open to interpretation
- There is no mechanism or ability for one to confront ones accuser
- The CoC seems to be more concern with punitive action rather than establishing the values of the community.

Allan.

Pádraic Brady wrote:
Pádraic Brady <mailto:padraic.br...@gmail.com>
January 21, 2016 at 7:19 AM