Hi!

> Why do we need so many functions to get a random int anyways if we now
> have random_int()? I would like to see all of them deprecated and
> removed in PHP 8.0.

I don't understand this drive to remove functions and break existing
code. What is the point of it? If you don't like them, don't use them.
They can share underlying implementation but there's absolutely no
reason to remove functions unless they do not work anymore, broken and
can not be fixed, etc.

PHP 8.0 is not some magic land where anything goes and BC does not
matter anymore. It still should run existing apps and do it well,
otherwise there's no point in releasing it at all - who's going to use it?

> Mcrypt is meant to be replaced anyways and OpenSSL might be too if we
> can come up with a nicer implementation that actually hides the
> underlying library (e.g. sodium).

This is another problem. So we have OpenSSL, then we have mcrypt, then
we have another implementation like sodium... do we really expect our
users to rewrite crypto in their apps every couple of years? That would
be insane. OK, we could say "have your apps work as they worked, but use
new stuff for new things" - but you propose to remove stuff?

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com