On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 9:59 PM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>> That is, when I'm running the test-suite of my package, the Composer
>> project is the root folder of that package - but when the package is
>> being consumed by another project, it's installed in a sub-folder in
>> that project's "vendor" folder.
>
> So Composer IS now the rule rather than some optional extra?

Yes, the community has decided that for us.  Or at least, Composer is
a *significant* player in the ecosystem of PHP development.
require_once() might be fine for NiH applications, but for the
collaborative world of modern PHP, it's the defacto standard.

> It is OK
> for users who only want to load the one application, but when one is
> running a large number of different packages it's a major hindrance.

You'll need to back that up with some more detail.  Composer is
specifically designed to _compose_ through multiple packages and also
allows for isolation when that sort of blending doesn't make sense.
Far from a hinderance.

> I don't need to know where my Linux install has put the include files ...
> it takes care of that and then finding the pigging things again is the
> problem.

So, autotools and cmake and the like exist for what purpose then?
Even pkg-config, which was supposed to solve much of this problem is
incomplete, at least on GNU distributions, falls short.

> Much the same with finding the source of problems in the mess
> that composer has created!

[citation required]

-Sara