> Why is the less-capable image library the default on the PHP platform? Why
> not Imagick?

Most likely because no one have come fourth and attempted to push it
into core and have been willing to do all the work required for it.

As for GD, I would argue and say that for the average developer
needing image functionality, it fits the needs, the API is clunky yes
and I have been wanting to redesign at least the PHP binding for quite
some time, but that is a huge task, for a marginally small gain imo.

If you are willing to do the work, and work together with the
maintainer of Imagick, then I don't see any showstoppers for why it
can't be included in the php-src through an RFC much like Sodium
recently was added to 7.2

--
regards,

Kalle Sommer Nielsen