On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 6:32 AM, Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:

> I was planning to update the RFC, but wiki.php.net is having issues
> atm and isn't coming back up with basic coaxing, so I'll just start
> discussion informally, and the RFC can be updates later.
>
> Background: I made an RFC some time ago to implement HackLang's Pipe
> Operator https://docs.hhvm.com/hack/operators/pipe-operator which
> provides fluent calling for non-object interfaces.
> I circulated it to mixed reviews, many negative, with the negativity
> feeling like it centered on the use of a magic placeholder token `$$`.
>
> After discussion with Levi and others who suggested a simpler
> approach, I'd like to offer
> https://github.com/php/php-src/compare/master...sgolemon:pipe2 as an
> alternate possibility.
>
> This version removes the $$ token, and instead treats the RHS of the
> expression as a callable obeying the same rules as the callable
> typehint elsewhere in the language.  Specifically:
> * Free functions as strings containing the function name. (e.g. 'funcname')
> * Object methods as array($object, 'methodname')
> * Static methods as array('Classname', 'methodname')
> * Closure expression (e.g.  function($x) { return ...; }  )
> * Object instance with an __invoke() method.
>
> In a given pipe expression, the output of the LHS expression feeds a
> single arg to the callable on the RHS.
> Examples:
>
> $x = "hello"
> |> 'strtoupper'
> |> function($x) { return $x . " world"; };
> // $x === "HELLO world"
>
> Non-Goal: I didn't include support for base function names (e.g.
> `"hello" |> strtoupper`) because of the conflict with constants.
> Using a constant to store your function name is totes legit and
> consistent with language syntax.
>
> Future Scope: Short Lambdas `$x => $x + 1` and Partial Functions
> `someFunc('fixed val1', ..., 'fixed val2')`  would help make this
> functionality more useful and are worth discussing as a sub-thread,
> but are not required to be implemented at the same time.

I think this feature makes very little sense if it's not introduced
together with a way of making partial application much more ergonomic than
it is now. I understand the desire to keep things separate, but I don't
think that this proposal can land without partial application syntax being
introduced beforehand or in conjunction with it.

>From a previous R11 discussion, I remember that two strong contenders were
foo(...) for getting a callable with an arbitrary number of unbound
parameters and foo($$) for a single unbound parameter. In the latter case
the proposal has a similar expressive power as the previous pipe operator
proposal. Another option was to make $$ a more general construct for
obtaining single-parameter closures in compact form. Then you would also be
able to write "$$->getFoo()" to get the equivalent of "function($x) {
return $x->getFoo(); }" and similar. A disadvantage is that the precedence
here is less clear and that a short closure syntax might be more clear for
the cases that go beyond partial application.

Regards,
Nikita