> Turning it on permanently would also solve the problem

Well, yes, although it creates "another way of doing the same thing". So far
PHP was on a way to remove redundant tags. Permanently enabling of short
open tags looks like a move in the opposite direction.

Personally, I'm surprised by the controversy around this change. So far it was
an obvious anti-pattern for me, and never seen anybody who was aware of
the consequences of using <? and still use <? instead <?php on purpose.

Regards,
Robert Korulczyk